Venue: Cranbrook House & Gardens
Location: Northeast of Cranbrook House
Turtle Fountain is a copy of Fontana della Tartarughe which stands in a piazza not far from St. Peter’s in Rome. The original fountain was designed to have four men sculpted in marble and holding dolphins; but it was decided that was too clumsy, so the figures were made in bronze with no dolphins. The rim was bare until 1658 when the famous Baroque sculptor Giovanni Lorenzo Bernini added the turtles to the upper basin, thus suggesting the new name.