Cranbrook Institute of Science

Home

CRANBROOK INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE
Location: Northeast end of Institute Way
George Booth, 1930
Eliel Saarinen, 1936-1937 (alterations)
Steven Holl, 1998 (addition and renovation)
Dan Hoffman, Designer, Smith Group, Architects, 2006 (West Entrance and Parking Deck)

Light Pylon (Light Tower)
Eliel Saarinen and George Booth, 1938

Mermaids and Tritons
Carl Milles, 1925-1934

Originally designed for use by Cranbrook students, the Institute of Science is now Michigan’s premier natural history museum. Featuring travelling and permanent exhibitions, a planetarium, observatory, and native plant garden, the Institute offers field trips, lectures, and special events which engage visitors in the wonders of science.