Circa 1965, Bronze
Julius Schmidt was Artist-in-Residence in Sculpture at the Cranbrook Academy of Art from 1964 to 1968. He was nicknamed “the grandfather of iron” for introducing iron casting to the fine arts while at Cranbrook. Cannon was created collaboratively by Schmidt and his students. The work was dedicated to Zoltan Sepeshy, president of the Academy of Art from 1946 to 1966. Cannon was first fired at convocation in 1966, and again as part of a performance in 1991.